Monday, June 11, 2012

month ten.

 

Yesterday was the end of the year celebration picnic at Casserly House. During the afternoon, the ESOL students, After School kids, their families, neighbors, and other community members gathered to celebrate the end of the school year and to enjoy being together. We had food, games, and a raffle, and each student received a certificate acknowledging their participation in the programs. I loved the entire afternoon--meeting the family members of the ESOL students, being around the kids in a different atmosphere, and seeing my housemates experience Casserly House.

But the most touching moment was easily when one of the ESOL students gave a short speech after receiving her certificate, during which she said the following: "At Casserly House we are like a family. S. Nancy is your mother, Jim is your father, and Megan is your sister."

That is one of the biggest compliments I have ever received, but I think it says less about me personally and more about why Casserly House is so special. I always say that I'm grateful for the people in my life. I am even more grateful for the people that have let me be a small part of their journeys over the past ten months. I will carry those memories (and so many more from this year) with me long after my feet have left this place physically.

month ten.


picnics at the public garden. fro yo. being a grown up. foley's. st. cecelia's. loving people well. baking baking baking.


making challah with the roommates. earthfest. harpoonfest. afternoons reading in the arboretum.


 
dinner with sarah. countdown to memorial day. red, white, and blue. 




road tripping to maine: the way life should be. jvc spring break '99. sun's out, gun's out. #hashtags. sonic, fog, and going out in portland. bromance.  jumping in the ocean. an afternoon at the beach. 


grendel's. goodbye beers. abby's birthday. watching food stamped. rainy. weekend. free doughnut day. popsicles with mike. haymarket. :[ last spiritual direction session at athan's. pierogies. fjv barbeque.


seeing fr. greg boyle speak. castle island with the esol students. the scooperbowl. the aquarium. roslindale farmer's market. fornax bread co. finishing the freedom trail. climbing the bunker hill monument. going out downtown. visitors. mass by myself. casserly house picnic.


No comments:

Post a Comment