Tuesday, October 4, 2011

this is my life.

I spent 12 straight hours at Casserly House today because of our board meeting this evening. While that sounds somewhat exhausting (and I admit, sort of was), I also had this really beautiful moment in the midst of the craziness of the after school program. Suddenly, it just hit me that this is really it. This is my life now: Casserly House, JVC, Boston. This is real life; this is my life. And I couldn't stop smiling.

As this year goes on, I know that I will have many difficult moments; in many ways, that is a reality of choosing to do this program. The struggle is part of the process, and it's supposed to be that way. But at the end of the day, I know without a doubt that this is where I'm supposed to be. I honestly can't imagine being anywhere else for this year.

I know that these moments of clarity are going to be part of what pulls me through this year. These are rare, beautiful moments when for two seconds everything falls in place and I am able to see past the mundane--past the three kids yelling my name, past the endless to do list's, past the little luxuries I'm learning to do without--to see a glimpse of what is real and wonderful about this work I am privileged to do everyday.

One of my favorite quotes (it's actually on the sidebar of this blog) sums up a lot of how I feel about life and this experience, so I'm going to post it again, just because I think it is applicable to the situations that a lot of us find ourselves in: 
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it." --Roald Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment