Friday, October 7, 2011

working for the weekend.


It's gorgeous in Boston this afternoon. (Gorgeous just so happens to be one of the words I taught my ESOL students this morning.) And it looks like the rest of the weekend is shaping up to be just a wonderful.

It's already hard to believe that just a week ago my parents were here in Boston. We had a wonderful few days together.

They flew in Friday morning, and I was able to meet up with them after a half day of work. Their hotel was located near the Prudential Center, and after I dropped some things off, we started walking, and walking, and walking... to Copley Square, where we checked out the Boston Public Libary; to Boston Common, where we picked up the Freedom Trail; to Sam Adam's grave, where we decided it would be appropriate to drink a Sam Adams at the bar across the street; to the North End, where our wandering ended as we enjoyed an evening of Italian food, pastries, and gelato. We then decided to take the T back to their hotel.

I spent the night at the hotel that night, and honestly, it was a little bit weird to spend the night away from our house/community. I haven't done that since moving to Boston. My parents and I ate breakfast together on Saturday, then headed to the Boston Local Food Festival. The Local Food Festival was a lot of fun, and it was great to see so many passionate people about good, local food!

After the food festival, we headed back to my neck of the woods in Jamaica Plain so my mom could see our house/neighborhood. We spent the rest of the day in JP, and I gave them a house tour and showed them Forest Hills Cemetary (one of my favorite places in this entire city). They were also able to meet up with most of roommates who met us at Foley's where we ate pizza and watched the Cardinal's game.

On Sunday, we headed north to Harvard Square in Cambridge, where there was an Oktoberfest celebration going on. While not at all authentic, it was still a lot of fun. We spent the rest of the day wandering around Boston and doing things like eating at the Parker House Hotel (originator of Boston Cream Pie & Parker House Rolls, as well as the place where JFK proposed to Jackie O) and taking touristy pictures outside of the Cheers bar. Eventually, we had to say goodbye, and they headed back to Missouri in the morning.

It was wonderful to have my parents here and show them pieces of my life in Boston. I miss them already. As much as I love Boston and JVC, the hardest part about it is being away from my family. (Closely followed by being away from friends.) I can't wait to see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment