Monday, August 1, 2011

i ♥ stl: my favorite places.

I went up to St. Louis last week and finished packing up and cleaning my apartment, essentially severing my last ties with the Lou for the time being. However, that doesn't mean I haven't greatly enjoyed my time in St. Louis; it was the first city I ever called home, and I am hopeful that I will someday again.
In honor of my past four years in St. Louis, here's a quick roundup of a few of my favorite places in the city, broken up by category. (Yelp pages linked because I'm obsessed.) Man, I'm gonna miss this place...


Around SLU

Cafe Ventana | My favorite coffeeshop ever, and right off of SLU's campus. Their annex is the best place to study. They usually have great background music playing, and they serve beignets in case you need a study break.

Humphrey's | I love Hump's more than I should. I will miss it dearly next year. It is the ideal college bar (a patio with live music, the most random decor I've ever seen, a soundtrack made up of oldies and country, a strange birthday gift, and of course, cheap drinks), and it was the location of some of my favorite memories over the past year and a half. Also, $1 pitchers of beer on Wednesday nights. Nothing more needs to be said.

City Diner (at the Fox) | I was beyond happy when City Diner opened this new location last summer that's within walking distance of SLU! While the original South Grand location has a different kind of character, this one can't be beat for proximity to SLU.
Pickelman's | Maybe I'm prejudiced because this was located in my old apartment building, meaning I smelled it every single day, but I love Pickelman's. I think it's the fact that they toast their subs. My favorite sandwiches are the Veggie and the Pizza Guy, but I also enjoy their pizza.

The Fox | Not that I go here that often, but I still love it all the same. I just like seeing it down the road as I cross Grand. :) Beautiful Art Deco decor.

Places to Eat & Drink

The Good Pie | Some of the best and most authentic pizza I've had since Italy. Order the namesake pizza.

Anthonino's Taverna | My favorite Italian (and Greek!) restaurant on The Hill -- and in all of St. Louis. Everything I've had there has been delicious.

City Coffeehouse & Crepery | This beats Crepes, Etc. in a heartbeat in my opinion, even though the drive is slightly further from SLU. Super cute, tons of options, decently priced. A great lazy day brunch option. (I'd be here every week if I could.)
Pickle's | My favorite deli in St. Louis. The veggie sandwich is fantastic. Warm flatbread, hummus, and avocado spread topped with tons of vegetables. So good.

Uncle Bill's | Another 24 hour diner that's a great alternative to City Diner.

Racanelli's | NY style pizza. So good.

McGurk's | Irish pub in Soulard (with a patio!).

Gus's Pretzels | Homemade pretzels that are super cheap and super good.

Ice Cream & Etc.

The Fountain on Locust | You can get ice cream in a pretzel cone. A PRETZEL CONE. It is delicious. The pickle soup is good, too, even though it sounds weird. Another place with great Art Deco decor and ambiance!
Fro Yo | Who does love Fro Yo? And who doesn't love Fro Yo that's now closer to SLU? (Thanks for the CWE location, guys.)

Crown Candy Kitchen | St. Louis's oldest soda shop and home of the best chocolate malt I've ever had in my life. I've been told that everything else is also delicious, but I can't even bring myself to order anything else.

Ted Drewes | STL's famous frozen custard. I recommend the Big Apple. It's like Apple Pie a la mode, but reversed!

Places to Study (aka Coffee Shops)

The Mud House | Another great coffee shop to study in on Cherokee Street. They also have an excellent breakfast sandwich (featured here).

MoKaBe's | South Grand's best coffeehouse. The upstairs is a perfect place to study, and they have tons of vegan/vegetarian options for food.

Coffee Cartel | STL's only 24 coffeeshop (also with hand dipped ice cream!). The frozen hot chocolate is delicious, and the music selection is superb (and random).


Etc./Things to Do

City Museum | Huge indoor/outdoor playground for adults. As awesome as it sounds.

Forest Park (and anything that takes place there) | Love Forest Park, and love their free offerings, especially the Zoo, although the museums are also great, as is the Muny and Shakespeare in the Park during the summer (and the Balloon Glow, and Loufest, and...).

Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tour | So much fun, really interesting, and you get two free samples of beer at the end! What's not to love? (P.S. Go to Gus's afterwards!)

The Book House | My new favorite book store in STL. It's a house that's been renovated into a used/new bookstore, complete with a store cat. I'm obsessed with this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment