Friday, April 1, 2011

irish car bomb cupcakes.


An Irish Car Bomb is a drink composed of a shot of Bailey's and Irish whiskey dropped into a glass of Guinesss. The drink has to be drank immediately after the shot is dropped in or else it will curdle, but somehow, the Guinness and Baileys combine to make something that actually tastes pretty good.

In honor of St. Patrick's Day a couple of weeks ago, I baked a cupcake version of an Irish Car Bomb. While I wasn't able to make them on St. Patrick's Day because of Spring Break, I just made them belatedly when I got back to my apartment. While the cupcake version is a much sweeter experience, it still retains a lot of the essential elements of the drink, namely Guinness (baked into the chocolate cake) and Bailey's (in the filling and frosting).

While I baked these cupcakes in honor of St. Patrick's Day, don't let the fact that the holiday has passed keep you from trying them. They are good enough to be eaten any day, not just on a holiday. I consider them to be one of the best things I've baked all year, and I've baked a lot! In other news, I need to buy a real piping bag because the icing on these just looks sad.


The recipe for the cupcakes is from Annie's Eats; I didn't make any changes except to use chocolate mint Bailey's (well, actually an off-brand) instead of the normal kind. I think the faint hint of mint makes them taste even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment